Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Engagement

It was a normal Monday in June, except Chris had to travel to meet with a donor in Victoria, Texas. My day was as routine as it could get. I got up and went to work and went to Target to by toothpaste at lunch. Chris did call me a few times throughout the day which did not seem so out of the ordinary since he was traveling and I figured bored waiting for meetings. Late in the afternoon Chris called and asked if he could get me something shiny from Victoria and I said yes (not realizing a thing) and reminded him of my ring size (can you tell getting married has been on my brain for a while?). During this time I remember him convincing me not to go work out and asking me if I could go pick up his dry cleaning. He also told me to wait for him for dinner, which I had my dinner all figured out since I thought I was going to be eating alone. My plan was to make some of those anytisers and some really yummy frozen french fries. Well that didn't happen!

I left work a little early because I wanted to go to Penzey's to pick up some spices and herbs, and then went to the dry cleaners. I got home and started unloading all of the stuff out of the car, which took a few trips since Chris had a ton at the cleaners! On my last trip to the car Chris pulled up in the driveway. We went inside the house and I started unpacking my Target loot! I was attempting to pull pack of toothpaste a part (it was a two pack) when Chris took it from my hand and told me I was driving him crazy! Nice huh?

The actual toothpaste box I was messing with!

Chris started talking about how he lied to me today and that he wasn't in Victoria. He was actually in San Antonio buying my ring (that is another story that I will share later because I am sure you are asking why did he go to San Antonio?) and that he had been doing a lot of thinking about how he loves me and that he wants to have a family with me and all of the other things you are supposed to say when you are asking someone to marry you. Well, I thought he was full of it! This was not a part of our "plan" just yet. I wondered, why in the world are you telling me this? You aren't proposing!

And then he dug through his pocket and pulled out a box...


This is what was inside!!



The next few moments were a blur. I started crying and laughing all at the same time and was in complete shock! Chris says I took the ring from him and his thought was, Well, I am never getting that back! I believe I finally said yes at some point, after the ring was already on my finger. And from that point on, I was ENGAGED!

No comments:

Post a Comment