Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cake Tasting!

Today I am going to come back to present time and write about an adventure Chris and I had today. I may have to do this every now and then since we are in full wedding planning mode.

Chris and I went and picked out the wedding cake for the reception. The hotel that we are using provides the cake for us. We get to use one of Houston's premiere bakers, Who Made the Cake? over on Shepherd.


We got there and walked into a room filled with beautiful designs and tasty smells. We finally got to sit down and start looking through a BIG book of cakes. It was extremely overwhelming and I was so afraid that I was going to walk out of there with such an extravagant cake that I really didn't want. Chris and I went through the entire binder (this binder was about as big as my head) and picked out designs that we liked. There was a common thread in all of the pictures we liked (sorry, can't tell you that yet) when we look back through what we picked.

Now comes the cake tasting. Oh my goodness. Everything we tried was so good, except the raspberry, I am not a big fan of raspberry. Below is a picture of the cake we got to try. These are there most commonly picked flavors. We did not pick any of these combos, but again, I can't tell you what we picked. We feel like what we picked will be pleasing to all of our guests and that it is not your typical wedding cake.


Needless to say, we did walk out of there with almost exactly what I originally wanted. I thought we would have been there for hours discussing the cake, but we were done in an hour. It really did help going in knowing what I wanted and making some minor adjustments to my original idea.

Any future brides reading this, I strongly recommend looking up ideas and not getting caught up with all the extras that they can add (unless budget is no option, then go crazy). Bring the groom with you, because first of all, he will love trying the cake. He can also help keep you grounded on all the fancy trinkets and remind you not to second guess yourself about your personal ideas that you have. Make sure you tell him what your ideas are before you get there. Finally, make sure to take advise from the designer/baker. They are the experts!

I did also bring a copy of what my invitation is going to look like, my flower arrangement and a fabric swatch. Be prepared, that is my motto!

No comments:

Post a Comment